135 YEAR HISTORY OF SCHOOL CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH
School Creek Baptist Church was organized September 1, 1879, by Reverend L. R. 
Millican according to “Paisano” a book written by Katy Stokes.1 However, the first 
recorded meeting, according to the Certificate of Organization, was held on the first Lord’s Day of November 1879, so we know it was between the first and seventh of November.2 

Actually that date in 1879 was November 2nd.3 The meeting place was a small schoolhouse up School Creek, Smith School, about a mile from where F. M. Road 2527, crosses School Creek.2 We are sure much preparation had gone into the planned meet¬ing on this day. Families up and down the Lampasas River and Lucy and School Creeks were involved. 

Rev. L. R. Millican, a preacher who had been preaching in Lampasas and surrounding places, had promised to come and help organize a church. We wonder if the weather affected attendance and if the crops were gathered. The people thought that it was a good time to start a church. We are sure there were many church-related activities.
The following brothers and sisters passed examina¬tions on the Articles of Faith: 
Brothers: P. Smith, John W. Moore, Solan Mace, W. M. Wren, J. I. Scott and Sisters: C. L. Smith, F. Moore, D. Mace, S. E. Wren, Harriet Holly, Rebecca Wilson, Sallie Mitchell, F. E. Scott, and Wilson H. Hurst. Immediately following the organization, Sally Hawkins joined the church.4 

We suppose they had monthly meetings after the organization and Brother Millican 
served as pastor until 1882. Brother W. B. McGee came as pastor in 1897, serving two years, then came back in 1900 to serve sixteen years then back in 1925 to serve three years which made a total of twenty one years. This was the  longest time served by any pastor.5 

The first deacons were elected March 28, 1880: John Moore and Solan Mace. Twenty-six deacons have served the church with five transferred from other Baptist Churches to School Creek Church. These 31 deacons served the church with their time, talents and money and have helped guide the membership through good times and bad.6 

W. M. Wren was the first church clerk. He served from 1879 to 1893 and to this day the church records have the minutes he wrote of Church Conferences.7 Nineteen members have served the church in this very impor¬tant office of the church for the past 100 years. 

The church had no treasurer until 1928 and Ethel Smith was the first elected church treasurer.8 A Finance Committee would be appointed or elected for each financial need that came before the church. Eight mem¬bers have been elected and have served the church in business meetings and expending church obligations in this office.

On 3/3/1901, Jacob Smith gave the church two acres followed by a gift of 1.68 acres on 11/2/41, from Gilbert Smith.9 If the church ceased to exist the land reverted to the donor, assigns or heirs. One of the happiest days of the church congregation must have been at a meeting on November 17, 1900, when they voted to build the first and only church building they ever built. Andrew N. Smith, J. Oscar Mace and J. Jim Standard were named as a committee to collect money to pay for labor and supplies.10 W. H. Wren and Solan Mace were appointed to “make up money on the side” from non-members who were interested in having a place of worship in their community. What a busy and exciting time it must have been for all members of the families.

The men selected and bought the lumber and paint and supplies and the women selected the wallpaper, lamps and furniture. How proud they must have been when on April 28, 1901 the committee reported all bills paid. The costs of the worship center were as follows: $503.79 for lumber, $217.30 for carpenter work, $147.60 for paper, paint, $2.50 for window shades, $3.00 for lime, $13.00 for surveying (the land was donated by Jake Smith, a son of Smith who was a charter member), $28.50 for the pulpit and hardware, $1.50 for a chair, $2.00 for the table and $21.15 for carpet. The total was $940.79 and the committee had collected $944.39, leaving a balance of $3.50. The committee was dismissed “with honors.” These figures are in the minutes of the April 28, 1901 meeting.10

The tabernacle was built in 1919-1920. Usually a brush arbor served as a place for revival meetings in the summer time with some families coming and camping during a revival at the church. The additions on the north and south sides of the church and the refinishing of the interior were completed around 1944. The parsonage was built in 1947. The Tabernacle was made into an Educational Building in 1956 and the cement walk was built in 1965.11 

The Church has always been active in missions, orphan homes, Sun¬day Schools, Vacation Bible Schools and young ministers. Eighteen or 20 of the 30 or 40 who have served as pastors were young seminary students. The School Creek group has also helped establish new churches. At one time the church sponsored a Mexican Mission for the several Mexican families living in the neighborhood at that time. They met on Sunday afternoons. One of the first missionary efforts was to organize a Sunday School up Lucy Creek which later became a church, called Lucy Creek Baptist Church.12 

The church has licensed and ordained several members as ministers. The ministers were A. Smith, Clint Lancaster, J F. Prince, Keith and Terrell Moore, David Church, Don Birkhead, Drew Shofner, Jeff Hutchinson, Jonathan Murdock, Rodney Macon and Allan Ellen. Several of the pastors became missionaries. The church was interested in old ministers’ relief in early days and invested money into the Annuity Board funds for many of their pastors. The average membership has been consistently around 125.12

The past 26 years have seen several changes and some things stay the same. There have been 10 ministers during this time and for a two year period the church was without a minister except for supply ministers. Active membership is currently at 77. The average Sunday School attendance has fluctuated between 14-47 with a current average of 42. Attendance at worship service varies from 60-75.13 

On September 18, 2002 the church was incorporated.14 The trustees were Mickey Edwards, Allen Craft, Emily Brooks and Jed Dunning. The land donated to the church contained a “reverter clause,” however, as of 2003 more than 80% of the heirs have released their rights to the church.15 

The church during a revival in the spring of 1999, led by Tim Randolph, Director of  Missions for the Tri-Rivers Association, challenged the church to have a vision of what the church could become. The Lord led Henry Langford to initiate a plan for a new and more versatile Fellowship Hall which would meet the needs and growth of the church. 

After several years of work the Deacons of the church recommended on February 19, 2004,16 that a new Fellowship Hall be built at a cost not to exceed $250,000, in partnership with the First Texas Bank and the Baptist Loan Corporation.17 Brice Eddy was elected to be the church contractor for the project with assistants Russ Clowdus and Klevon Smith.18 The church broke ground for the new Fellowship Hall on Sunday May 16, 2004.19 

In the Summer of 2004 the youth of the church under the leadership of the Youth Minister Jonathan Murdock and Blake Butler went on a mission trip to Brazil.20 Jonathan Murdock resigned on August 31, 2004, to take a position in Salado, Texas. Blake Butler became the Interim Minister for Youth.

On November 7, 2004, the church celebrated its 125th Anniversary.21 The theme was “A Family Reunion,” and several former members attended the event. Three former pastors preached on that day: Rev. Don Birkhead; Rev. Doug Dillard; Dr. Terry Colley. The choir led by Alicia Straley and accompanied by Martha Quinton, organ, and Amelia Denning, piano, provided special music and led the church in several old and favorite songs: Church in The Wild Wood; John, The Revalator; The Old Country Church and The Family Bible. Victor Quinton sang Life’s Railway To Heaven. There was Dinner-on-the-Ground, organized by Frances Smith, in the new building which was not complete but useful to the celebration. The people visited until about 2:30pm. The new Fellowship Hall is scheduled to be completed prior to November 2005 and dedicated on the first Sunday in November 2005.

The church in 2007, began supporting two missionary efforts overseas: Milton Martin’s work in Central America and Mexico and Russ Clowdus, Jr, in Austria. In 2008, support was given to Martha Quinton, Jr. The church expanded the Fellowship Hall and installed a Baptistery in July 2009. There were six people baptized when the baptistery was available.        

As of November 1, 2009, The following persons have key positions in the church: 
Deacons-Vic Quinton, Dean Tomme, Klevon Smith, Doyle Tomme, Jerrell Herron, Allen Craft, Jed Dunning, Henry Langford, Robert Straley, Jim Kline, Ray Slaydon; Director of Music, Alicia Straley accompanied by organist Martha Quinton and pianist Amelia Denning; Church Secretary-Gladys Owen and Treasurer Emily Brooks. 
The church parking lot was black-topped in 2010 to the joy of the ladies in high heels. The Worship service was moved permanently to the new Fellowship Hall in January of 2013. 

The current Pastor is Jerry Perkins.22 The church has increased its support of community activities through His Kids, Lampasas Mission and the Ministerial Alliance. A church office was set up in the Education building in September of 2013. Emily Brooks, the church’s treasurer, retired after 31 years of faithful service. Earline Brooks was elected treasurer in January 2014 and Susie Minnick was elected Assistant Treasurer in September 2014. 
Gladys Owen retired in February of 2015 after serving as Church Secretary for more than 25 years. Mary Ann Langley was elected as Church Secretary.   

Jerry Perkins retired as Pastor on August 31, 2015 after 16 ½ years. Chris Ortego was accepted as Pastor in November of 2015 and begin his ministry at SCBC on December 1, 2015 and retired on September 30, 2021.  


Stokes, Katy, Paisano, Texian Press, 1980.
Owen, Gladys, Church Minutes, 1879-present, Lampasas , Lampasas County, Texas
Owen, Gladys, Church Annual Report, 1880-Present, Lampasas, Lampasas, County, Texas
The World Book Encyclopedia, Field Enterprises Educational Corporation, Volume 3, page 28, 1964, Library of Congress Catalog Number 64-7000
Microfilm The Lampasas Dispatch Record, Lampasas Public Library
Owen, Gladys, 125th Anniversary Guest Book, Lampasas, Lampasas County, Texas
Quinton, Martha, 125th Bulletin and Choir Book, Lampasas, Lampasas County, Texas